- 2020. Science-based Communication to Decrease Disparities in Adult Pneumococcal Vaccination Rates. (with Brian S. Krueger, K. Kelly Orr, Jennifer DeAngelis, Aisling R. Caffrey, Emily Bodo, and Kerry L. LaPlante). Journal of the American Pharmacists Association 60(6): 861-867.
- 2017. Trust in China? The Impact of Development, Inequality, and Openness on Political Trust across China’s Provinces, 2001-2012. (with Ping Xu). Asian Journal of Comparative Politics 2(2): 176-195.
- 2016. The Fourth Estate vs. the Fifth Column: The Effect of Media Freedom and Social Tolerance on Civil Conflict. (with Salvatore Schiano and Jenifer Whitten-Woodring). International Journal of Press/Politics 21(2): 165-187.
- 2015. The Impact of Persistent Terrorism on Political Tolerance: Israel, 1980 to 2011. (with Mark Peffley and Michal Shamir). American Political Science Review 109(4): 817-832.
- 2014. Tolerating Threat? The Independent Effects of Civil Conflict on Domestic Political Tolerance. Journal of Conflict Resolution 58(5): 797-825.
- 2013. Territorial Issues, Audience Costs, and the Democratic Peace: The Importance of Issue Salience. (with Douglas M. Gibler). Journal of Politics 75(4): 879-893.
- 2012. Individual Identity Attachments and International Conflict: The Importance of Territorial Threat. (with Douglas M. Gibler and Steven V. Miller). Comparative Political Studies 45(12): 1655-1683.
- 2012. Hybridity, Political Order, and Legitimacy: Examples from Nigeria. (with Kristin Johnson). Journal of Peacebuilding and Development 7(2): 153-168.
- 2011. Capacity to Trust? Political Capacity, Conflict, and Political Trust in Africa, 2000-2005. (with Kristin Johnson). Journal of Peace Research 48(6): 737-752.
- 2011. Territorial Threat and the Decline of Political Trust in Africa: A Multilevel Analysis. Polity 43(4): 432-461.
- 2011. Territorial Threat, Mobilization, and Political Participation in Africa. Conflict Management and Peace Science 28(3): 183-208.
- 2007. Political Tolerance and Territorial Threat: A Cross-National Study. (with Douglas M. Gibler). Journal of Politics 69(1): 128-142.
- 2005. Taking Arms Against a Sea of Troubles: Conventional Arms Races During Periods of Rivalry. (with Douglas M. Gibler and Toby J. Rider). Journal of Peace Research 42(2): 131-147.
- 2018. Disparities between Parental Expectations and Pediatric Antibiotic Prescribing. (with Kerry LaPlante and Amy B. St. Amand). Pediatrics 141(4): e20180065.
- 2020. Tolerance and Threat Revisited: The Dynamics of Political Tolerance Under Persistent Terrorism. (with Michal Shamir, Mark Peffley, and Yu Ouyang). In At the Forefront of Political Psychology: Essays in Honor of John L. Sullivan, eds, Eugene Borgida, Christopher Federico, and Joanne Miller, 99-118. London: Routledge.
- 2020. A Network-Based Analysis of International Refugee Migration Patterns Using GERGMs. (with Katherine Abramski and Natallia Katenka). In Complex Networks and their Applications VIII: Studies in Computational Intelligence, vol 882, eds, Hocine Cherfi, Sabrina Gaito, Jose Fernendo Mendes, Esteban Moro, and Luis Mateus Rocha, 387-400. Berlin: Springer.
- 2018. The Territorial Peace: Theory, Evidence, and Implications. (with Daniel G. Starr). In The Oxford Encyclopedia of Empirical International Relations Theory, ed., William R. Thompson. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2017. Political Trust in Sub-Saharan Africa and the Arab Region. (with Kristin Johnson). In Handbook of Political Trust, eds., Sonja Zmerli and Tom van der Meer, 461-487. London: Edward Elgar Publishing.